Risultati da 1 a 6 di 6

Discussione: Italian Alvis 6x6 Stalwart camion anfibio - 1963

Soldato L'avatar di MarkEllis

Question Italian Alvis 6x6 Stalwart camion anfibio - 1963

Hello all,

I’m sorry that this is in English, but your English is probably better than Google’s Italian.

I'm wondering if anyone has any photos or records for the Italian Stalwart. Or perhaps you can suggest a source of information?

About me
    40 years ago I was in the British Royal Engineers, in Germany. I was driving, and teaching others to drive the Alvis Stalwart 6x6 High Mobility Load Carrier (HMLC).

In 2013 I joined the HMLC group on Facebook, and have helped admin the group for some years.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alvi...stalwart.group

During Lockdown 1 of Covid in 2020, I was put on Furlough to stay home. I do not own a Stalwart, but started to gather all the British army Workshop and User manuals. These manuals have been declassified by the Ministry Of Defence (MOD), and are free to down load. This was done to help keep the remaining Stalwarts out of the breaker yards. It’s taken me 3 years, but I now have all the Workshop manuals, and most of the User manuals.

I then set up a cheap webpage, to freely share these manuals outside of Facebook.

https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-...-files-manuals

At the same time that I started gathering manuals, I also started researching the Stalwart’s history and story.
    I got fed up with correcting the incorrect information on Wikipedia, and their editors deleting my corrections because they wouldn’t read the manuals. So I created new web pages for the Stalwart, to record its history. This also expanded to cover the Bedford trucks, the BV202, and British army field cooking equipment.

https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files

About the Alvis Stalwart
    The website goes into great depth, but to give the main moments
    • 1959 the first Stalwart is ready and trialled by MOD.
    • 1960 the first swimming Stalwart is ready for trials.
    • 1962 Sweden buys its first Stalwarts.
    • 1963 Britain receives its first Stalwarts. Germany and Italy buy their first Stalwarts
    • 1966 the mark 2 Stalwart is produced.
    • 1969 the crane loader version is produced.
    • 1971 the last Stalwart is made.
    • 1985 Sweden takes their last stalwarts out of service.
    • 1993 Britain takes their stalwarts and many other petrol engine vehicles out of service.

British army had roughly 1056 Stalwarts. The following countries also purchased Stalwarts
    • 4 – Austria.
    • 2 – France.
    • 3 – Germany.
    • 1 – Italy.
    • 26 to 28 – Sweden.
    • 1 – Thailand.
    • 1 is also thought to have been sold to Canada, but still researching that.

Italy

Italy bought an Alvis Stalwart 6x6 amphibious truck from Great Britain. We know from the Times newspaper that it had been bought by December 1963. It was purchased to help in the event of river flooding and disaster relief.

I'm wondering if anyone has any photos or records for the Italian Stalwart. Or perhaps you can suggest a source of information?

I have already been in touch with Storia Militare, who have been most helpful and passed me on other information.

With thanks to Colonel Cappellano I can confirm that;
    • One of these amphibious trucks has been purchased and tested by the Italian Army.
    • The Stalwart was initially in charge of the Reggimento Lagunari “Serenissima”, an infantry regiment located in the Venice area and specialized in amphibious operations in lagoon, lake and river environment.
    • After some test with the regiment, it has been transferred to the Engineers' Corps school in Piacenza for other test.
    • Unfortunately it was not considered suitable for both uses, as troop carrier for the “Lagunari” and/or support vehicle for the Engineers' Corps.
    • Moreover, any interest has been demonstrated in this vehicle by the “San Marco” Battallion (at that time, today is a brigade), the naval infantry unit of the Italian Navy.

So if you do have, or know any old soldiers who might have any photos or records for the Italian Stalwart, then I would love to hear from you. Or perhaps you can suggest an Italian source of information?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your help,

Mark

Question

I forgot the Spanish video.

The first swimming Alvis Stalwart, chassis number PV2 was demonstrated to Austria and Italy, France, Germany, and Switzerland. This started in 1962.

This video of Stalwart PV2 is apparently from 1963, filmed at Madrid in Spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6ULrkBrHs

The video isn't showing for some reason - but can be viewed here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6ULrkBrHs

I wonder if there is any old Italian film footage of the Stalwart being demonstrated or used?

Many thanks
    Ultima modifica di MarkEllis; 04-01-24 alle 23: 30 Motivo: Video not showing

Predefinito

Hello, mr. Ellis, welcome on this page!
    Personally I have never seen this vehicle in operational service in Italy, but this should not seem strange as it is a single example, probably used for missions abroad.
    At the end of WW2 the American army left many of its vehicles in Italy, including a single example of a half-tracked Halftruck which was used by the Italian police until the early 1950s. I hope that some expert users of this forum can help you find some indications. Have a nice day and happy new year!
    Sovrintendente della Polizia di Stato
    Componente di Staff www.cadutipolizia.it
    Blog "Polizia Nella Storia" QUI
    Dubbi sul Codice della Strada? Iscriviti a Polstradaforum.it!
    -------------------
    Per i nuovi Utenti
    - Hai letto il Regolamento? Lo trovi QUI
    - Ti sei presentato alla community? Fallo QUI
    - Disciplina e sanzioni del Forum, QUI

Predefinito

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Kojak Visualizza Messaggio
    Hello, mr. Ellis, welcome on this page!
    Personally I have never seen this vehicle in operational service in Italy, but this should not seem strange as it is a single example, probably used for missions abroad.
    At the end of WW2 the American army left many of its vehicles in Italy, including a single example of a half-tracked Halftruck which was used by the Italian police until the early 1950s. I hope that some expert users of this forum can help you find some indications. Have a nice day and happy new year!
    Thanks, Kojak.

I'm hoping that someone from one of the named units will recall seeing it.

Is there a records office that holds all the old registration cards for vehicles?

The Stalwart was bought to test as a possible flood and disaster support vehicle.

I was told
    1) The Stalwart was initially in charge of the Reggimento Lagunari “Serenissima”, an infantry regiment located in the Venice area and specialized in amphibious operations in lagoon, lake and river environment.

2) After some test with the regiment, it has been transferred to the Engineers' Corps school in Piacenza for other test.

3) Unfortunately it was not considered suitable for both uses, as troop carrier for the “Lagunari” and/or support vehicle for the Engineers' Corps.
    Moreover, any interest has been demonstrated in this vehicle by the “San Marco” Battallion (at that time, today is a brigade), the naval infantry unit of the Italian Navy.

Thanks

Mark

Predefinito

Good morning Mark. In Italy vehicle registers are kept in the archives of the departments or battalions and are generally covered by military secrecy. If the vehicle was tested only as a prototype and never entered operational service, it may not even have been registered among the operational vehicles. I think it is very difficult to arrive at a certain figure....
    Sovrintendente della Polizia di Stato
    Componente di Staff www.cadutipolizia.it
    Blog "Polizia Nella Storia" QUI
    Dubbi sul Codice della Strada? Iscriviti a Polstradaforum.it!
    -------------------
    Per i nuovi Utenti
    - Hai letto il Regolamento? Lo trovi QUI
    - Ti sei presentato alla community? Fallo QUI
    - Disciplina e sanzioni del Forum, QUI

Predefinito

This link is to my PDF of a draft, but pretty much complete edition of the Swedish "Amfibiebil 101" part of the Alvis Stalwart's history. I'll add other expected photos when they finally arrive. But most of the detail and fact is now there.
    I wish I could find out more about the Italian one.
    Enjoy
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/17A4...ew?usp=sharing

Tag per Questa Discussione

Segnalibri

Permessi di Scrittura

• Tu non puoi inviare nuove discussioni
  • Tu non puoi inviare risposte
  • Tu non puoi inviare allegati
  • Tu non puoi modificare i tuoi messaggi
  •