Pagina 2 di 3 PrimaPrima 123 UltimaUltima
Risultati da 11 a 20 di 23

Discussione: The importance of learning a foreign language.

Maresciallo L'avatar di Zoppo
    Localitą
    Liguria

Predefinito

Many years ago I sent my curriculum vitae to an American company, one director read it and since he was in love of Italian language, he called me by phone and we spoke a lot in Italian; then we met each other abroad and we continued speaking in Italian. Finally he joined me in the team and when I opened my mouth in front of everybody…was a disaster.
    Moreover, I had a problem with my sense of heard, so I can understand Indian or African people, but English and American no: I heard just a noise, like if someone would be playing the drums, a sort of Uomf Dumf Imf… it seems they have a potato in the mouth!
    At the beginning I got problems because I was able to make understandable sentences but I was unable to understand what my colleagues said; several months later I think I improved a lot my English, in fact I was unable to understand my sentences too.
    In any case, what is really important, is to be never ashamed, try to practice and understand that to speak bud 4 languages is better than speaking 1 perfectly. My teacher of Latin said the opposite, but because she has never left her village and has never moved from her job!

Wiseman

Predefinito

Pals,
    I've been working abroad for almost a decade - the best and most interesting periodo of my whole life. ANd that could not have been made if I hadn't been able to handle a bit of English.
    Sure, my first approach to a meeting - ten Americans, a couple of Dutch, an Israeli and my boss - an Italian - was psychologically a drama . Then, shame and fera left aside, you ... pull the trigger, close the eyes and go!
    Worse than ideal, better than expected: it works.
    People working is interested in working concepts, ot in literature skills. Of course you must be able to communicate, but listeners will be forgiving.

In ten years I found myself travelling/working/living in almost all countries of Europe and South-America - and I managed with a reinforced English capability, and learnt-by-doing skills in French and Spanish.

First point: finding a new job is easier (although I'm now embarrassed, 'cause my boss doesn't speak English and doesn't want me to speak ).
    Second, insurmountable: you get a lot of friends over the world.

You know the (soldier of fortune) motto: "travel the world, enjoy the adventure - Meet interesting people, and kill them!".

Lot of luck!

Colonnello L'avatar di ryuzaki

Predefinito

Learning a foreign language is VERY important. English first, because is the language which is most used in the entire world. The best way to learn a foreign language is to study or work abroad, but a good one method is to read and watch books and movies in a foreign language, like i do
    Un obiettivo e un sogno realizzato! Ora passiamo ai prossimi!

Utenti MF supporter L'avatar di ValerioL
    Localitą
    Roma (RM)

Predefinito

I'm born in the U.S.A (Florida) but for all my life i lived in Italy and unfortunately my English is becoming an... Lets call it "Italian - English" I hope i will return to speak English perfectly because it was the first language i learned... Italian was the last one. I learned English, Swahili (Kenyan language because i lived there for 8 years) and then Italian... A foreign language is the most important thing to learn i guess, especially English! English will be important for the most things you do in your life.

Regards,

ValerioL

Caporale L'avatar di BLUEANGEL2009
    Localitą
    In casa mia!

Predefinito

Well, that's interesting...a foreign language is nowadays vital, particularly in your field where a good understanding and a fast communication can make the difference.It knowledge offers many ways to improve or keep the language alive. OUP give audiobooks to enjoy literature and language as well.

---------------------Aggiornamento----------------------------

I think the question was to be taken in a general way, the mre languages you learn or know, the better. p.s. Mind your spelling, you can speak, speck in excellent after trekking with bread and apples, lol
    Col cuore, sempre.
    Ubi maior minor cessat.
    Domani e' un altro giorno.
    FLUCTUAT NEC MERGITUR

Wiseman

Predefinito

I was called once as a member of a jury for selecting three graduates with special merits and competences, to be awarded a stage in a prestigious international firm.
    Excellent English capabilities were a pre-requisite to take part to the selection: including because the next step for the winner in each of the European countries where the selection took place were to be sent to participate in the continental context - all English spoken.
    Eight out of the nine participants had outstandign knowledge and capabilities. One of them has shown diplomas and certificates testifying of his top level handling of no less than six (6!) foreign languages, including Mandarin Chinese and Brazilian Portuguese. It occurs to me that the candidate (probably) lack a life, but for the rest ...
    The nineth had positively fewer language skills. And, knowledgeable of that, and shy, refused strongly to undergo the test in English - as the others had done. But gave out such a good performance as regards the merits of the selection ... that was awarded the third place in the context, a chance for life. Under condition to attend a crash course of English in summertime.

This is what I mean that English knowledge is nowadays essential for competing in the workmarket.

Localitą
    In casa mia!

Predefinito

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Wiseman Visualizza Messaggio
    I was called once as a member of a jury for selecting three graduates with special merits and competences, to be awarded a stage in a prestigious international firm.
    Excellent English capabilities were a pre-requisite to take part to the selection: including because the next step for the winner in each of the European countries where the selection took place were to be sent to participate in the continental context - all English spoken.
    Eight out of the nine participants had outstandign knowledge and capabilities. One of them has shown diplomas and certificates testifying of his top level handling of no less than six (6!) foreign languages, including Mandarin Chinese and Brazilian Portuguese. It occurs to me that the candidate (probably) lack a life, but for the rest ...
    The nineth had positively fewer language skills. And, knowledgeable of that, and shy, refused strongly to undergo the test in English - as the others had done. But gave out such a good performance as regards the merits of the selection ... that was awarded the third place in the context, a chance for life. Under condition to attend a crash course of English in summertime.

This is what I mean that English knowledge is nowadays essential for competing in the workmarket.

I really start thinking it's basic to understand information on an international level, which is apparently something we can't do without nowadays
    Col cuore, sempre.
    Ubi maior minor cessat.
    FLUCTUAT NEC MERGITUR

Membro Onorario Militariforum L'avatar di TrinitrotolueneII
    Localitą
    Leicester, United Kingdom

Predefinito

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Wiseman Visualizza Messaggio
    Of course you must be able to communicate, but listeners will be forgiving.
    Unless, of course, you are vainly attempting to communicate with some old Briton who claims to understand the Queen's only!

Jokes aside, I entirely agree with your post. As a matter of fact, I believe that the only way you can truly learn a language is to go in the Country where they speak it and slam your face onto the hard wall of misunderstandings...I could give you a few, very embarrassing examples. But I promise it is worth the pain, 100%!
    Ut vitam habeant

Localitą
    In casa mia!

Predefinito

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Alpenjager Visualizza Messaggio
    A foreign language?? today learning only one fereign language is nothing, we are going trough a new era in wich you have to speack al least 2 foregn languages plus the mothertongue language.
    LAUF said a correct thing I completely agree, today in 2011 the new analphabetism is made by people that doesn't speack any foregn language plus no IT knowledge..so for us it's completely difficult to go out of this situation of empasse because in Italy we have an Instruction and education public system absolutely not ready to catch this new global match, classroom at school with 25 students, 1 or 2 hours of english language or German or French with no mothertoungue teachers..is this the wright way to improve the competitivity of italians students? Is it possible that in Italy we start to study english when we are more and less 11 years old until we are degree and at the end probably we get a B1 level C.E.F.R.?? after 10 year of studing english??
    Italy is very slow in updating its language teaching system: to learn a language means understand, read, speak and write correctly, even the spelling is important particularly because most of us learn English from videos, songs or movies without any guidance as for grammar or vocabulary.
    Col cuore, sempre.
    Ubi maior minor cessat.
    FLUCTUAT NEC MERGITUR

Soldato

Predefinito

I learned the english only at school, I love the english and I study that not only for my future or in order to find more job, I study it because it's so funny, I mean, you can talk with a lot of peoples of a lot of countries! I'm actually studying in a Linguistic High School but I improve my skills everyday while talking with friends from the UK or USA or simply chatting with them. Learning a language is important because in this world, where the globalization is almost everywhere, we need to socialize and open our minds to other cultures!

Pagina 2 di 3 PrimaPrima 123 UltimaUltima

Segnalibri

Permessi di Scrittura

• Tu non puoi inviare nuove discussioni
  • Tu non puoi inviare risposte
  • Tu non puoi inviare allegati
  • Tu non puoi modificare i tuoi messaggi
  •